Jun 15, 2007

Installing Mythtv on Ubuntu 7.04

The last time I installed mythtv on Ubuntu I used Ubuntu 5.10 and compiled mythtv from source. My wife went away for the weekend when I started this project and when she came back she claimed I had not moved at all still configuring and installing. I have recently built a new media center pc so I had to reinstall Mythtv so I thought I would try the latest Ubuntu, Feisty Fawn. I could not believe how streamlined installing Mythtv had become.
The steps were to install Ubuntu from the live disk. I then set up the nvidia video card proprietary drivers. Then I opened up the Synaptic Package Manager and searched for "mythtv". Since I was setting up the frontend and the backend of Mythtv on the same computer, I selected mythtv package and installed. Synaptic first installed all of the prerequisites for Mythtv then installed mythtv. In the process a random password is given to you in a prompt that is the MySQL database password. Make note of this. It also puts this password in the setup for Mythtv. The backend setup is now an icon in the administration tab. You can start this setup and configure the Mythtv backend. The front end icon has been put under applications. This covers the installation which is essentially one step. Later I will go into the setup and configuration of Mythtv in a later article. This assumes you set up a regular desktop with the frontend and backend all on the same computer. See the howto from Ubuntu.

No comments: