Feb 12, 2008

VMWare Mythtv Frontend

I just built a really fast machine with a Core 2 Quad Intel processor. I saved a wishlist from Newegg of the specifics of the machine JarkHD Machine Wish List. I keep one windows machine to play pc games and this was my new machine for gaming. I have been annoyed that I could not watch Mythtv from my Windows box. I have tried the alternatives to watching Mythtv on Windows and none of them work well at all. I thought finally I will be able to make a frontend for Mythtv on a virtual machine with this new beast. I have tried this in the past and always blamed the machine for the 1 frame per second performance. I used the free VMWare server 1.0.4 and made a Ubuntu 7.10 virtual machine. When I installed and configured Mythtv-Frontend I tried an HD show I had recorded. Once again the frame rate was terrible so I tried a SD show with the same results. (It was a little better) I noticed that the CPU usage was close to 75% which I have never witnessed with this machine. I have tried this same setup with the VMware tools installed and have had no luck. The conclusion I have come to is the video driver can not keep up with the frame rate needed to watch Mythtv. This same problem is true of the PS3 which lacks a driver for the video card. Maybe VMWare will accelerate the graphics more and this will work in the future.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been working on a similar issue. You may have already come across this and found it unhelpful but I use the Mythtv Player to play on the windows side. It works like a charm for me and the newest version allows for live tv watching. I do wish that the full frontend was available for windows but with Mythtv Player and the SVN trunk of Mythtv in Mythbuntu I can control most aspects from the web pretty well. If you're interested and haven't checked it out you can find the player here http://sudu.dk/mythtvplayer/

jark said...

Thanks for that information. I am downloading that app right now to try it out.